Teenager shot dead in east London
A murder inquiry was under way today after a teenager was shot dead, police said.
Officers were called to Chesterton Road, Plaistow, east London at about 3.20am after reports of two teenagers suffering gunshot wounds.
The victim, believed to be 16, was pronounced dead at the scene. A second teenager, believed to be 15, was taken to an east London hospital where his condition is understood to be critical, Scotland Yard said.
No arrests have yet been made.
Next of kin have been informed, though the teenager has not yet been formally identified.
A post-mortem is expected to take place shortly, police said.
Detectives from the Metropolitan Police's Trident unit, which tackles gun related crime within the black community, are investigating the death.
General Election 2015: David Cameron catching up in polls – but he badly needs a clear lead
Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
South Africa xenophobic attacks: Shops looted and violence on streets of Johannesburg as foreigners are forced to hide in police stations
18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats