A teenager who admitted cooking a hamster in a microwave will be sentenced today.
The 16-year-old, from Corby, Northamptonshire, who cannot be named for legal reasons, previously pleaded guilty to one count of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.
The RSPCA said the white Golden or Syrian hamster, thought to be about a year old, was taken to a vet in March last year. It is thought that at least 26 hours had passed before it was taken for treatment.
A spokeswoman said the animal's right hind leg had been injured so severely the flesh had burned away and the bone was showing through.
She said the vet presumed there would also be organ damage so the decision was taken to put it to sleep.
The 16-year-old will be sentenced today at Kettering Youth Court in Northamptonshire.Reuse content