Jurors in the Metropolitan Police trial over the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes are expected to hear evidence this week from witnesses who were on the London Tube train when he was killed. They will include police surveillance officers who will appear as witnesses for the prosecution. Mr de Menezes, 27, was mistaken for a terrorist and followed by police to Stockwell station on 22 July 2005, where he was shot seven times in the head.
The Old Bailey heard last Friday that the Met had been warned by Israeli security forces that suicide bombers had developed devices that could be more easily concealed under clothing. Detective Inspector Andrew Whiddett, in charge of the surveillance teams on the day of the shooting, told the court that officers had been briefed about the threat of a suicide attack carried out using sheet explosives that could be easily concealed under clothing.
Also last Friday, a detective sergeant, identified as "Derek", told the court he was unhappy that his team had received no back-up from the Met's specialised armed response unit during the operation.
Jurors heard earlier in the week how a gym card found in the rucksack of the failed bomber Hussein Osman originally led police to stake out the block of flats in Tulse Hill, south London, where Mr de Menezes lived. The Met denies a charge of breaking health and safety laws in relation to the Brazilian's death.Reuse content