TV actress let her mother's body rot
Saturday 02 July 2011
A television actress who left her mother's rotting corpse "wedged" behind a bedroom door so she could claim her pension money was jailed for 11 months yesterday.
The body of Olive Maddock, 95, was left to decompose on the bedroom floor of her mouse and fly-ridden Merseyside home, "lying amongst rubbish and clutter" for between two and six months, by her daughter Hazel Maddock, 61, and granddaughter Jasmine Maddock, 35.
The pair were sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court after Hazel, a television extra who has worked on Channel 4 dramas Brookside and Hollyoaks, had pleaded guilty to unlawful prevention of burial. She also admitted fraudulently obtaining one payment of her dead mother's state pension and pension credit, worth £211.36. Jasmine, who admitted leaving a corpse unburied, was given a 26-week suspended sentence.
Judge Gerald Clifton said what they had done was "despicable". The body was found after a neighbour reported concerns about Olive Maddock to police.
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace