Two arrested as Belfast siege drama ends
Thursday 21 May 2009
Two men were arrested today in Northern Ireland after a seven-hour stand-off with armed police ended peacefully.
A major security operation was put in place at 5am in Powerscourt Place, Belfast, this morning after pellets were shot from the building, damaging cars parked nearby.
Two men had barricaded themselves into the recently vacated house but the siege ended shortly before 12 noon after police negotiators and a local priest intervened.
Following reports that an air rifle had been spotted during the incident, police would only confirm that a suspected firearm had been taken away for further examination.
The two men aged 25 and 28 are now in police custody.
The security alert centred on a residential area near the Ormeau Road, a busy route for commuters making their way into the south of the city during the early morning.
Families had been asked not to leave neighbouring houses until the incident was resolved.
Police commander for the area Chief Superintendent Brian Maguire thanked the public for their help.
"I would like to thank local residents for their patience and cooperation, (and) regret any inconvenience caused, however our priority was the safety of the community," he said.
"I would also pay tribute to the professionalism of the highly trained officers, including negotiators, who skilfully brought this dangerous and complex situation to a successful conclusion."
Part of the building had been boarded up with metal screens that are routinely erected on vacant properties by the housing authorities to prevent vandalism.
While the stand-off continued, the two men had barricaded themselves into the house and an Irish tricolour was hung out of a broken window.
The Housing Executive (HE), which manages social housing, confirmed it owned the property.
The HE said: "The property at Powerscourt Place was not the subject of an eviction notice, indeed the legal tenant of the property transferred to another Housing Executive property with effect from 27 April 2009.
"As is normal procedure, when a tenancy is terminated, the house was secured pending reallocation.
"The Housing Executive is aware of the incident and is keen to see the matter resolved as quickly as possible."
Alliance party representative for the South Belfast constituency Anna Lo was among those who had appealed for a peaceful end to the stand-off.
"This incident has shocked the community greatly," she said.
"It is deeply worrying that there is an armed stand off in such a residential area."
* This article is from the Belfast Telegraph.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
Loom bands: Bids for dress made from colourful rubber reach almost £154,000 on eBay
Israel-Gaza crisis: Eight killed in Gaza Strip cafe while watching World Cup semi-final
Supermoon 2014: When and why will the moon look bigger and brighter this summer?
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
- 2 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 3 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week