Two men shot dead near US air base
Wednesday 16 March 2011
Detectives are investigating the shooting of two men on a traveller site near one of the UK's biggest military air bases.
Investigators think the killings in Beck Row, Suffolk, last night could be linked to a shooting incident on the same site a few weeks ago.
The site - near the United States Air Force base at Lakenheath - was cordoned off today as scenes-of-crime experts tried to establish what had happened.
Police said one man was found dead on the ground and a second body was discovered in a burning car.
Officers investigated after a vehicle was shot at on February 17. No-one was hurt but a number of people were arrested.
Locals said the site was created about five years ago near another established traveller site.
Police said they were called shortly after 10pm yesterday after a member of the public reported gunfire.
Nearby residents - many of whom work at the air base - were evacuated.
Bono's group has made more money from Facebook investment than from all his music
Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
Auschwitz museum defends mist showers installed during heat wave after visitor complains they are reminiscent of gas chambers
Nazi 'gold train': Fire engulfs suspected location of vehicle in Poland
A Chinese journalist has appeared on state television 'confessing' to causing the stock market chaos
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
UN investigating British Government over human rights abuses caused by IDS welfare reforms
- 1 If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 2 David De Gea: Manchester United goalkeeper's £29m move to Real Madrid off - because paperwork 'not done in time'
- 3 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 4 Pansexual: What is it - and when did the term gain popularity?
- 5 New Apple TV release date and price: streaming box and games console will launch in October