'Why so serious?': Man obsessed with Batman villain the Joker to be sentenced for attempted murder
Dale Pipe uttered a phrase by Heath Ledger's character in the film The Dark Knight after he attacked a man in a leisure centre
A man posted one of Heath Ledger’s lines from The Dark Knight on Facebook after he had stabbed a stranger 16 times.
Twenty-year-old Dale Pipe is being charged with attempted murder, having repeatedly stabbed a man who was using a urinal at a leisure centre in Consett, County Durham.
Pipe, having then barricaded himself in a toilet cubicle as he was accosted by staff, posted on Facebook: “Why so serious? Hahahahaha.”
The former restaurant worker admitted attempted murder and three charges of possessing an offensive weapon at a court hearing in May.
Pipe arrived at the Consett leisure centre on 28 January with a number of weapons – including kitchen knives, craft knives and an axe – to carry out an apparently random attack. After the incident 22-year-old victim Josh Henley was airlifted to hospital in Newcastle with life-threatening injuries, having suffered multiple stab wounds to the head, neck and chest.
The case bears some similarities to the 2012 Aurora shooting, in which James Holmes shot dead 12 in a cinema in Colorado people while dressed as the Joker.
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
General Election 2015: Sturgeon claims Scots 'appalled' by Ed Miliband's refusal to work with SNP
- 1 Katie Hopkins gives rare glimpse of sensitive side with heartfelt open letter to her children penned in case she dies from epilepsy
- 2 Rihanna's Met Gala dress took one Chinese woman 2 years to make, was reduced to omelette meme in 2 seconds
- 3 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to replace Jeremy Clarkson and co
- 4 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 5 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds