Witnesses rescued stabbed schoolgirl
Saturday 02 April 2011
A teenage girl who was stabbed outside her school yesterday was saved when pupils and teachers leapt on her attacker.
Chloe West, 14, was on her way to Ridgewood High School, in Stourbridge, West Midlands, when a car drew up beside her and a youth leapt out and stabbed her nine times. Last night Chloe was said to be in a stable condition at Birmingham Children's Hospital. Police were questioning a man on suspicion of attempted murder.
The father of one pupil said: "I've been told that a pupil from Year 11, who would be about 16 years old, rugby-tackled him to the floor, and then some of the teachers went and sat on the man and restrained him until police arrived." Ivan Daniels, 69, a neighbour, said: "I heard some screams and then I saw the blood. I couldn't believe it."
Superintendent Stuart Johnson, of West Midlands Police, said: "The young man, who was not a pupil, had been detained by members of the public and was taken into police custody. I would like to pay tribute to some very brave individuals who, without too much thought for their own safety, intervened in the incident. They clearly prevented far more serious injuries."
Clive Nutting, the headteacher, said the school was closed and pupils had been offered counselling.
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM