Cult leader 'was blackmailed by daughter'
Wednesday 11 August 1993
Rebecca Teacher, now 18, told police she and other children were treated like slaves at the cult commune near Bangor in North Wales, the Old Bailey was told. She said her father, Kevin O'Byrne, now 55, forced children to beat each other up. He also beat the children with curtain rails or horse whips.
David Bate, for the prosecution, alleged that Ms Teacher and her stepfather, William Webb, carried out a blackmail campaign last year. He said Ms Teacher told police she demanded between pounds 40,000 and pounds 60,000 from her father after failing to sue him for damage she allegedly suffered in childhood.
Ms Teacher and Mr Webb, 43, deny conspiracy to blackmail. The trial continues.
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
£25k + commission + benefits: Savvy Media Ltd: Find a job you love and never h...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CORPORATE - Corporate Solicitor NQ+ An excelle...
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...