EC closer to court action over Oxleas
The Commission maintains that the Government breached the EC's environmental impacts directive in pushing through its plans for the East London River Crossing road project.
Ioannis Paleokrassas, the Environment Commissioner, announced in Brussels yesterday that he had signed and sent a 'reasoned opinion' document to the British government. This sets out the Commission's grounds for believing the UK is in breach of European law.
The Government has two months in which to explain itself. If the Commission is not satisfied it has to take the matter to the court.
The key issue for protesters fighting the project is whether there will be a court judgment before a large part of the ancient woodland is destroyed by construction of the new road.
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
£23000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This small, friendly, proactive...
£14500 - £22800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Software Developer is required to join a lea...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: A first rate opportunity to join a top ranking...