Extension for parents' contracts at schools
Parents will be asked to ensure that their child arrives at school on time after a proper breakfast and also to act if their child is involved in bullying or truancy. Children should also be 'properly turned out' and have homework ready to hand in.
Contracts have been tried out in several schools and are Labour Party policy. Mr Patten said that some parents were failing in their responsibilities and making the lives of teachers difficult. 'The time has come to ensure that all parents fulfil their side of the bargain. I will shortly be coming forward with proposals to encourage extension of the use of home- school contracts,' he said.
Mr Patten said he was responding to headteachers' demands for parents' responsibilities to be spelt out. 'It is not good enough to dismiss bad behaviour in the classroom as a problem for the school alone to deal with. Teachers have a right to expect co-operation from parents.'
The National Association of Schoolmasters/Union of Women Teachers yesterday confirmed that it would boycott preparation of national curriculum tests from next week after a recent ballot.
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Charles Saatchi accepts police caution for assault after trying to dismiss Nigella Lawson row as 'playful tiff'
Google, BT and Yahoo! agree plan to tackle child porn
Exposed: Edward Erin, the doctor whose faked asthma drug test results proved fatal
Charles Saatchi: Taking caution for holding Nigella Lawson's throat was 'better than it hanging over all of us'
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...