Fast-food giant justifies packaging
Robert Langert, McDonald's director of environmental affairs, made the claims in evidence for a libel action brought by the hamburger chain against two environmentalists accused of writing, publishing and distributing a leaflet stating the company is responsible for acts of environmental destruction and produces food that causes cancer, heart disease and diabetes.
Helen Steel and Dave Morris, who are conducting their own defence to save costs, deny libel, arguing the claims are a fair comment on the company's activities.
Mr Langert claimed the use of conventional crockery and cutlery would require a large dishwasher 'which would probably be the largest energy consumer in the restaurant'. 'It would consume hundreds of gallons of water per hour and it would use detergents and chemicals to clean.'
Mr Langert admitted the company generally lagged behind public opinion on environmental matters but said 'they wished to take into account the science'.
The case continues.
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...