Father 'hired men to kidnap daughter': Man denies snatching four-year-old
Tuesday 12 April 1994
The father, an American film producer who cannot be named for legal reasons, was alleged to have taken the girl to Scotland, Ireland, the United States and finally to Israel in June 1990, where he was tracked down by British police four weeks later.
The mother was reunited with her daughter at the British Embassy in Tel Aviv, and the father was extradited to Britain last year, Bernard Phelvin, for the prosecution, said.
On the day of the alleged kidnapping, the daughter had been to a party and her mother was attacked from behind as she stood on the pavement outside their Battersea home waiting for her to get out of a car, the court heard.
A hand was placed round her throat and something was sprayed in her face before her daughter was snatched, Mr Phelvin said.
He said the father, 53, who denies kidnapping his daughter, took her on holiday to France and sent solicitors letters saying they were not coming back. Armed with court orders, the mother crossed the Channel and brought the girl back.
He said there was little dispute about the facts of the case, but what the jury would have to decide was whether the child was taken against her will. They would also have to consider whether a child of her age would be able 'to exercise any degree of consent'.
The trial was adjourned until today.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...