Firebomb alert at chain store
Thursday 30 December 1993
The device was found in a hair-care product in the Helston branch, after a telephone warning. It was blown up by the bomb squad. On Tuesday firebombs were found at other Cornwall branches in Bodmin and Liskeard.
Earlier yesterday, streets were evacuated while a suspect package was blown up at Boots in Penzance. Branches in Manchester, Derby, Nottingham and Bristol were searched after warnings that incendiary devices had been planted.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attacks, but an Animal Liberation Front spokesman said a group called the Justice Department issued a warning that up to six devices would be planted.
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: This is a senior appointment with huge potent...
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...