Fitness fan killed by gym weights
Saturday 12 December 1992
It was an 'excessive' weight for Jimmy Richards, 31, an experienced powerlifter to attempt, the West Yorkshire coroner was told.
Recording a verdict of accidental death the coroner, James Turnbull, urged manufacturers of the special weight machine Mr Richards was using to consider making a fail-safe device.
The inquest was told that Mr Richards, of Bradford, died at the Phoenix Health Club in the city during a workout last month.
Dr Jan Lowe, a pathologist, said that death was from asphyxia due to compression of the trachea.
Mr Richards had been lifting 170 kilos when the weights fell on his face, hitting him under the nose. It was likely he had jerked up spontaneously and the weights had dropped on to his neck.
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...