Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.


Former patient died in fire

A schizophrenic who had been discharged from hospital to a 'low support' hostel, died from 100 per cent burns after setting fire to himself with petrol, Westminster Coroner's Court was told.

Four weeks before his death on 17 May, George Bryan, 30, had been referred to a hostel in Dulwich, south-east London, where residents were free to administer their own medication, the inquest was told. Dr William Dolman, deputy coroner, said: 'There is a great deal of talk about Care in the Community. Sometimes the results are good, sometimes they are a disaster. The facts in this case speak for themself.' A verdict of death by misadventure was recorded.