Fumes from gas fire blamed as couple die
Monday 26 December 1994
The man and woman, both in their twenties, were sprawled on a settee at their home at Portslade, East Sussex. They had returned after a Christmas Eve party.
The gas fire was on full and rescuers believe the two had been overcome and killed by carbon monoxide fumes that were leaking from it. Their two-year-old child was staying with the man's parents.
A spokesman at East Sussex police headquarters in Lewes said: "I can only confirm that there has been a very unfortunate tragedy at Portslade and that a couple in their early twenties have been found dead."
Joe Garcia, duty control manager for Sussex Ambulance Service, said the deaths highlighted the dangers of gas heaters that were not serviced regularly.
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
30,000 reasons why the rhetoric on immigrants claiming benefits can stop now
£38000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's best performing...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our award-winning client is one...
£15000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Atlas ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...