Fumes from gas fire blamed as couple die
Monday 26 December 1994
The man and woman, both in their twenties, were sprawled on a settee at their home at Portslade, East Sussex. They had returned after a Christmas Eve party.
The gas fire was on full and rescuers believe the two had been overcome and killed by carbon monoxide fumes that were leaking from it. Their two-year-old child was staying with the man's parents.
A spokesman at East Sussex police headquarters in Lewes said: "I can only confirm that there has been a very unfortunate tragedy at Portslade and that a couple in their early twenties have been found dead."
Joe Garcia, duty control manager for Sussex Ambulance Service, said the deaths highlighted the dangers of gas heaters that were not serviced regularly.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Rapper Ja Rule forced to deny leaving his wife for prison cell mate
Ten best places to live in the UK: Solihull comes top
Mysterious glowing ‘alien-like creature’ spotted in waters of Bristol Harbour. A jellyfish - or something fishy?
From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration
- 5 Cannabis can cause man boobs, US surgeon claims
£40000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitment Company...
£50000 - £60000 Per Annum experience dependent: The Green Recruitment Company:...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum dependent on experience: The Green Recruitment Compa...
£18000 - £20000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: IT Project Adminis...