Gunman 'wanted PC wasted'
Friday 05 August 1994
Sgt Stephen Sands put his hands up when confronted by a man pointing a sawn off shotgun at his chest.
Then he heard a second man shout, 'Come on - waste him', at least twice.
Danville Gibson, 23, of Balham, south London, denies soliciting the murder of PC Thompson and Sgt Sands and attempting to murder another police officer, PC David Feaster, on 23 November last year. He also denies firearms offences.
The trial was adjourned until today.
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.