Heseltine won't fight the PM
In language reminiscent of his vow of loyalty to Lady Thatcher, he insisted: 'There are no circumstances in which I would stand against John Major.
'John Major is going to lead us into the next election, and people know that my forecast is that we shall win with a majority of 60,' he said on Channel 4's A Week in Politics.
Mr Heseltine, President of the Board of Trade, concurred with Home Secretary Michael Howard that John Major would hand over to a younger man.
But, offered the opportunity to accept that he would never make it to 10 Downing Street, Mr Heseltine declined.
'I am not using those words because nobody knows what the absolute extreme and unforeseen circumstances can be.'
Asked, in an interview in the Sunday Express, about reports of challenges to his leadership Mr Major said: 'I am pretty unmoved by them. I have lived through them for the last two years. It has not affected what I think or what I do or how handled the Government in those two years/
- 1 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 2 Rocky Horror star Tim Curry 'suffers major stroke'
- 3 Exclusive: How MI5 blackmails British Muslims
- 4 EDL marches on Newcastle as attacks on Muslims increase tenfold in the wake of Woolwich machete attack which killed Drummer Lee Rigby
- 5 Farewell, Shameless. Your heirs have work to do
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.