Arsenal shareholder Alisher Usmanov beats Richard Branson, Paul McCartney and Roman Abramovich to the top of the Sunday Times Rich List
The Russian tycoon was second in last year's list
This year's Sunday Times Rich List has revealed Russian businessman Alisher Usmanov is the wealthiest person in the UK and Ireland.
The tycoon's £13.3bn fortune includes Russia's biggest iron ore producer and a 30 per cent stake in Arsenal football club.
He also has a £48m mansion in north London, a stake in internet business mail.ru and a holding in mobile phone operator MegaFon.
Below Usmanov came Russia-born media mogul Len Blavatnik with £11bn, while last year's list-topper - steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal - sinks to fourth.
In third place are Sri and Gopi Hinduja, of the London-based Hinduja Group, with £10.6bn.
The Duke of Westminster's £7.8bn property fortune makes him the highest British-born person in the list, in eighth place. He is the only person to have made the top 10 of the list in each of the list's 25 years.
Sir Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin brand, is in 19th place with £3.5bn and Chelsea' football club's Russian owner Roman Abramovich is down two places to fifth with £9.3bn.
The list contains a record 88 billionaires - compared to 77 last year and just nine when the rich list started in 1989. Back then, the Queen came top.
The combined wealth of the top 200 people in list is £318.2bn which is more than eight times the figure 25 years ago.
Earlier this month former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney was revealed to have topped the list of the richest musicians. Sir Paul shares his £680m fortune with his American heiress wife Nancy Shevell.
He has topped each music list since 1989, when he was worth an estimated £80m.
Andrew Lloyd Webber was second of the musicians with £620m, with Irish rock band U2 third with £520m.
Rich List top 10
(Last year's positions in brackets)
1. (2) Alisher Usmanov (mining and investment) £13.3bn
2. (5) Len Blavatnik (investment, music and media) £11bn
3. (4) Sri and Gopi Hinduja (industry and finance) £10.6bn
4. (1) Lakshmi Mittal and family (steel) £10bn
5. (3) Roman Abramovich (oil and industry) £9.3bn
6. (9) John Fredriksen and family (shipping and oil services) £8.8bn
7. (8) David and Simon Reuben (property and internet) £8.2bn
8. (7) The Duke of Westminster (property) £7.8bn
9. (6) Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli (pharmaceuticals) £7.4bn
10. (11) Charlene and Michel de Carvalho (inheritance, brewing and banking) £7bn
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 4 Zayn Malik on Israel-Gaza: One Direction singer bombarded with Twitter death threats after posting #FreePalestine
- 5 'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'
Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
Sally Farmiloe dead: Howards' Way actress, and former mistress of Jeffrey Archer, dies aged 60
Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
Australian model Robyn Lawley stages naked protest against huge coal mine seven times the size of Sydney Harbour
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >
£21804 - £31868 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Qualified and experi...
£21588 - £31552 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Exceptional teacher ...
£100 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Would you like to be part ...
£100 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: We are currently recruitin...