London Bridge terror attack: Australian woman stabbed in throat says she is in ‘bit of pain but I will survive’

Candice Hedge was one of two Australian victims in attack

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A victim of the London Bridge terror attack who was stabbed in the neck and is recovering in hospital said she was in a “bit of pain but I will survive”.

Candice Hedge, 31, had finished her shift as a waitress at Elliot’s restaurant in London Bridge and was in a bar with her boyfriend when one of the attackers approached her.

It is understood the man came at her from behind, grabbed her head and stabbed her in the neck, the Courier-Mail reported.

She was one of 48 people who were injured in the attack on Saturday evening in which seven people died.

Ms Hedge was in a coma but awoke in hospital. The knife had missed her main arteries and windpipe. She received stitches and was recovering.

She wrote on Facebook: “Hey everyone, just so you know, I’m doing ok. Bit of pain but I will survive. Thanks for your thoughts and well wishes. Love to all.”

She has contacted her friends and family to tell them she was safe, as reported by ABC News.

Ms Hedge, from Brisbane, had moved to the UK about six months ago, and was working in the hospitality industry.

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said he was aware of reports that two Australians had been directly affected by the attack.

“This afternoon the Foreign Minister spoke to the parents of both Australians. One case has been confirmed and that Australian concerned is in hospital,” he told journalists.

“In the other case, we are continuing to make inquiries. Our officials will continue to provide every assistance they can to Australians affected by this shocking attack and their families.”

New Zealand citizen Oliver Dowling, 32, is in a coma after he was stabbed in the face during the attack, which also left his girlfriend, Marie Bondeville, injured.

Three male suspects were shot dead within eight minutes of the first call to London’s emergency services just after 10pm. 

The men had ploughed into civilians on London Bridge before fleeing the vehicle and randomly stabbing people who were enjoying themselves in restaurants and bars.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick called the incident a “terrifying experience for many people” and urged anyone with information to contact them.

UK Prime Minister Theresa May said the attack was “barbaric” and promised legal changes to ensure the Government could combat extremism at home as well as online.

A total of 12 people have been arrested during police raids in the hours after the attack.

Comments