Baby burned in fireworks incident


Click to follow
The Independent Online

A 12-month-old baby girl has been burned after a firework hit her in the face.

The incident was the second firework-related accident to happen to a child in Greater Manchester yesterday after a nine-year-old boy received blast injuries to his hand earlier in the evening.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said they were called to Queens Road in Bolton at around 9.20pm after the girl was struck in the face by a "multi-shot display" type firework which had fallen over and discharged horizontally.

The girl was treated at the scene and taken to hospital for further treatment.

At 8.34pm fire crews were called by the ambulance service to Newbury Avenue, Ashton-on-Mersey, Sale, to the report of an injury to a nine-year-old boy caused by an exploding firework.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "The injury is thought to have happened when a firework the boy was holding exploded - damaging his hand. The boy was taken to hospital for treatment."

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service is encouraging people to attend organised bonfires and firework displays wherever possible. PA