Body found in sea search for 10-year-old
Monday 17 August 2009
Rescue teams searching for a missing 10-year-old girl who disappeared after playing in the sea found a body today.
Stella Akanbi, from Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire, vanished after entering the water with a friend, also aged 10, on a beach in Clacton, Essex, yesterday.
Thames Coastguard said the body was believed to be Stella's but formal identification was yet to take place.
A spokeswoman said: "At 3.45 a police helicopter located what is believed to be the missing child. All units will now be standing down.
"This is such a sad moment for all rescue workers when a child is involved and finally located."
Thames Coastguard watch manager Aimee Rampton said: "We feel deeply sorry for the family at this time and our sympathies are with Stella's parents.
"We would like to thank the general public for their help and assistance in this very sad matter."
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >
Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE NQ to MID LEVEL - An e...
Highly Attractive Pakage: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - A highly attractive oppor...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (Campaigns, Offlin...
£90000 - £135000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing (B2C, Acquisition...