Bonfire night: Gone in 60 explosive seconds...


Click to follow
The Independent Online

Organisers of a fireworks display in Edinburgh have apologised after a misfiring rocket set off the entire stock at once, sending the crowd running and burning a girl's face.

More than £2,000 of pyrotechnics, which were due to be detonated over 25 minutes, exploded in about 60 seconds at Pentland Community Centre in Oxgangs. The injured girl was taken to Edinburgh's Royal Hospital for Sick Children, but no one was seriously hurt. The centre said a rocket misfired, ricocheted into the remaining fireworks and set them off. It added: "This was a freak accident and most regrettable, and we extend our apologies to everyone who was alarmed."

See the video on YouTube