Boots has recalled a list of cough and cold medicines for children after a possible fault during manufacturing was identified.
The retailer had already issued a precautionary recall for certain medicines purchased since September 2013 last month, but has now extended this list to include batches of specific paracetamol, cough and cold mixtures and gripe mixture.
The recall comes after Boots identified a possible fault in the manufacturing process of the tamper seal that might result in small pieces of plastic being found in the liquid medicines.
Adam Burgess, the MHRA’s Head of Defective Medicines Reporting Centre (DMRC), said:
“This is a precautionary recall by Boots and there is a low risk of plastic being found in bottles. There is currently no evidence that people have had any problems with these medicines.
“People should check their medicine cupboards at home and return these products to Boots. If people have any questions, they should contact Boots Customer Care Team or they can speak to their GP.”
Boots will refund customers who return the following medicines:
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Chesty Cough Relief 100mg/5ml Oral Solution, PL 00014/0554
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Dry Cough Relief Oral Solution, PL 00014/0550
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Mucus Cough Relief 100mg/5ml Oral Solution, PL 00014/0554
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 6 years Plus 250mg/5ml Oral Solution 200ml, PL 00014/0619
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 6 Years Plus 250mg/5ml Suspension 100ml PL 00014/0619
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Ibuprofen 3 Months plus 100mg/5ml Oral suspension Strawberry flavour, PL 00014/0652
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Tickly Cough Relief Oral Solution PL 00014/0550
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 3 Months Plus 120mg/5ml Suspension 100ml PL 00014/0638
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 3 Months Plus 120mg/5ml Suspension 200ml PL 00014/0660
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Cough Syrup 3 Months Plus PL 00014/0500
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Gripe Mixture 1 Month Plus PL 00014/5236