Boots recalls more children's cough and cold medicine over plastic fears
Retailer has recalled more medicines as a precaution after a possible manufacturing fault was identified
Heather Saul is a digital reporter for The Independent, currently working on the People desk. She has written news and features across a number of topics, paying particular attention to the activities of Isis and events in Iraq, Syria, Iran and Saudi Arabia.
Thursday 12 December 2013
Boots has recalled a list of cough and cold medicines for children after a possible fault during manufacturing was identified.
The retailer had already issued a precautionary recall for certain medicines purchased since September 2013 last month, but has now extended this list to include batches of specific paracetamol, cough and cold mixtures and gripe mixture.
The recall comes after Boots identified a possible fault in the manufacturing process of the tamper seal that might result in small pieces of plastic being found in the liquid medicines.
Adam Burgess, the MHRA’s Head of Defective Medicines Reporting Centre (DMRC), said:
“This is a precautionary recall by Boots and there is a low risk of plastic being found in bottles. There is currently no evidence that people have had any problems with these medicines.
“People should check their medicine cupboards at home and return these products to Boots. If people have any questions, they should contact Boots Customer Care Team or they can speak to their GP.”
Boots will refund customers who return the following medicines:
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Chesty Cough Relief 100mg/5ml Oral Solution, PL 00014/0554
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Dry Cough Relief Oral Solution, PL 00014/0550
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Mucus Cough Relief 100mg/5ml Oral Solution, PL 00014/0554
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 6 years Plus 250mg/5ml Oral Solution 200ml, PL 00014/0619
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 6 Years Plus 250mg/5ml Suspension 100ml PL 00014/0619
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Ibuprofen 3 Months plus 100mg/5ml Oral suspension Strawberry flavour, PL 00014/0652
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Tickly Cough Relief Oral Solution PL 00014/0550
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 3 Months Plus 120mg/5ml Suspension 100ml PL 00014/0638
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 3 Months Plus 120mg/5ml Suspension 200ml PL 00014/0660
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Cough Syrup 3 Months Plus PL 00014/0500
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Gripe Mixture 1 Month Plus PL 00014/5236
- 1 Hair loss explained: How and why men go bald
- 2 Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe the Stark may have a twin sister
- 3 Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
- 4 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
- 5 Russia 'accidentally reveals' number of its soldiers killed in eastern Ukraine
Most expensive city to live in for expatriates: Luanda, Angola takes number one spot with Hong Kong and Zurich in top three
Video of Irish 'professional boxer' fighting Istanbul neighbourhood goes viral in Turkey
Irish tourist filmed fighting with shopkeepers in Turkey says they 'messed with the wrong man'
House of Lords: Outcry as donors, fixers and MPs caught up in expenses scandal get peerages
Moody neurotics are more likely to be creative geniuses, study says
Dresden riots: Protesters in Germany attack refugee buses shouting 'foreigners out'
France train shooting: US soldiers speak of the moment they stopped gunman and 'beat him until he was unconscious'
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith calls for urgent ESA overhaul as part of drive to cut down welfare costs
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive + incentives + uncapped comms: SThree:...
£34000 - £36000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Analytics & Reporting Tea...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is a world leader ...
£13000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to be part of a ...