Boy dies after power cable accident
A 17-year-old youth has died after the cherry picker he was working in was apparently in contact with overhead power cables, an ambulance service said today.
At 3.38pm yesterday, ambulance crews were scrambled to a disused quarry in Shilton Lane, Brize Norton, Oxfordshire, after receiving a report that the boy had received an electric shock.
A spokesman for the South Central Ambulance Service said it was understood the teenager had been working on a cherry picker which had come into contact with the power cables.
He added: "The casualty suffered a cardiac arrest at the scene and was conveyed by air ambulance to the JR2 Hospital in Oxford."
A Thames Valley Police spokeswoman said: "Officers were called to a property in Shilton Lane at 3.50pm following reports that a 17-year-old boy suffered serious injuries after suffering a suspected electric shock.
"He was conveyed to the JR2 Hospital but was pronounced dead.
"The matter has been passed to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) who will be investigating."
An HSE spokesman said: "The HSE is aware and is investigating with the police."
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...