Bradley Wiggins' Olympics gold throne fails to sell at auction
Wednesday 07 November 2012
The gold throne that Bradley Wiggins sat on after winning gold at the Olympics failed to sell at auction.
The "magnificently kitsch" chair was expected to sell for £10,000 to £15,000 at Sotheby's in central London. But the maximum bid was for £9,500, and because it did not reach the reserve price, the throne was not sold.
Graham Budd Auctions, representing a theatrical props company that owns the chair, said it was absolutely astonished it did not sell. Graham Budd, sports memorabilia auctioneer, said: "I think it would be a conversational piece, and it is magnificently kitsch."
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£22000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are the go-to company for ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join the UK's leadin...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This caravan dealership are currently recruiti...