Britain feels the chill as wholesale gas prices soar
Demand for gas in the UK soared to the highest level in five years yesterday as a result of Russia's stand-off with Ukraine and the cold snap. Spot prices for gas rose yesterday from 59p to 75p a therm, and from 60p to 69p a therm for advance orders for today.
But Edward Cox, deputy editor of ICIS Heren's European Spot Gas Market, said British household bills were unlikely to rise as a result of the "within day" and "day ahead" rises.
British energy companies had bought most of their supply in long-term contracts six months ago. Most of Britain's imported gas comes from Norway, with Russian gas accounting for no more than 3 per cent of supply.
"I think there's a nervousness in the market but most traders are still confident it [the stand-off] will be resolved in the next few days," said Mr Cox.
Plunging temperatures in Britain mean that millions of pensioners and other vulnerable people – including 600,000 in London – will receive winter fuel payments of £25 a week. The scheme is triggered when average temperatures in an area fall or are forecast to fall below 0C for a week.
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
German chancellor Angela Merkel named most powerful woman in the world by Forbes - again
World news in pictures
Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.