Cambridgeshire man dies after accidentally drinking crystal meth worth £34,000
Inquest hears how Rodrigo Dias mistakenly believed the drug was a health drink
A man has died after drinking from a bottle of liquid methamphetamine - otherwise known as crystal meth - after he mistook it for a health drink.
Romano Dias had been given a bottle of what appeared to be a fruit drink by his daughter after it was delivered to her home - the wrong address.
After drinking around half a glass of the liquid in his Cambridgeshire home, the 55 year old was immediately taken ill and subsequently died.
His partner, Debra Dulson said in a statement that Mr Dias took a gulp of the drink, told her it tasted awful and that his throat was burning. He then said: “I am in trouble here. I am dying, I am dead.”
Analysis of the bottle’s contents revealed that rather than holding what it said on the label, the bottle contained £34,000 of pure methamphetamine.
According to reports in the Cambridge News, an inquest into his death heard that his daughter, Katee, had found the drink in a package left outside her home. It had her address on it but under a different name.
She picked up the parcel expecting someone to collect it. When no one did after six months, she opened the package to find the bottle. Much later - around three years after the delivery - she gave it to her father.
Detective Inspector Ian Simmons said that the family had not been in anyway connected with the drug. “I would say it is highly likely it was destined for a dealer,” he said.
“This was a completely unaccountable and unforeseen chain of events.”
“The £34,000 is a significant amount,” he told the inquest. “It is unique, this is not an event that happens in Cambridgeshire or elsewhere.”
Pathologist Dr John Grant said the level of methamphetamine consumed was well above the lethal dose.
Coroner William Morris concluded that the death was accidental. “This is a dreadful case,” he said.
Crystal meth is a potent class A drug which is normally smoked, snorted or injected.
Although relatively rare in the UK, it has been brought to the British public’s attention by US show Breaking Bad, which tells the story of a science teacher who starts producing the drug.
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 Watch a man race the Circle line and win
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Grandmas keep accidentally tagging themselves as Grandmaster Flash on Facebook
Islamic State: Pope is 'being targeted by Isis', Iraqi ambassador to the Holy See warns
Jennifer Lawrence and Kate Upton nude pictures exhibition cancelled after artist concedes photos were 'stolen property'
Scotland independence: A nation divided against itself: Brown says SNP are liars. Darling joins in. Salmond fights back
John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
Richard III: Two years after his body was found scientists discover how he died
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: HR Manager / Training Manager (L&D /...
£35000 - £50000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior QA Engineer (Agil...
£26000 - £28000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Digital Marketing Executive (SEO, PP...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our retail client ...