Chemical leak in science class sees six schoolchildren and teacher rushed to hospital

Incident occurs after bottle of Bromine was mistakenly opened in Year 10 class

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Six children and a teacher have been taken to hospital following a suspected chemical leak at a school in Birmingham.

Emergency services attended Four Dwellings High School in Quinton after a "chemical incident" left a group of Year 10 pupils and their teacher struggling to breathe. 

The incident occurred after a bottle of Bromine was mistakenly opened, a spokesperson for the school told The Independent. The incident was minor and the children were only taken to hospital as a precaution, the spokesperson added. 

“The six pupils and a teacher developed breathing difficulties after being exposed to the chemical Bromine. The rest of the class were unaffected," a spokesperson for West Midlands Ambulance Service said.

“The seven were assessed at the scene by ambulance staff.  As a precaution, the teenagers were taken to Birmingham Children’s Hospital and the teacher to Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham – their condition is not believed serious.

“The chemical was isolated and there is no risk to anyone else.”

An ambulance, a paramedic area support officer, the Hazardous Area Response Team and two emergency planning managers were all sent to the scene shortly after 10am on Wednesday. 

Two fire engines and 10 firefighters also attended the scene to assess the situation and ventilate the classroom, a spokesperson for the West Midlands Fire Service told The Independent

Comments