Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.

Chemical mixture sparks leisure centre blast

A mixture of chemicals caused an explosion at a leisure centre which injured three men yesterday, fire services said.

Specialist officers from Humberside Fire Service attended Scunthorpe's Pods Leisure Centre, which is due to open next month, to help tackle the blast. The three men – all of whom were members of staff – were treated at the scene for cuts, bruises and the possible effects of inhaling chemicals; two were taken to hospital. There was no risk to the public.