Coronation Street star Bill Roache pleads not guilty to child rape charges
Coronation Street star denies historic sex charges in court
The veteran soap star William Roache pleaded not guilty yesterday to committing sexual offences against five young girls including two counts of rape.
The 81-year-old actor, who has played Ken Barlow in ITV1’s Coronation Street since it was launched, will stand trial at Preston Crown Court in January. The charges against him date back to the 1960s and include two of raping a 15-year-old girl in East Lancashire.
He is also charged with five indecent assaults involving four girls aged between 11 or 12 and 16, allegedly committed in the Manchester area between 1965 and 1968. Mr Roache, who was arrested at his home in Wilmslow, Cheshire, in May, formally entered not guilty pleas to all seven charges during the 30-minute hearing in Preston. He remains on bail.
The world’s longest-serving soap star has previously described himself as “astounded and deeply horrified” by the allegations. ITV1 said he will not be appearing in the programme until legal proceedings are concluded.
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 1 Bad cattitude: Family call police after crazed and 'hostile cat with a history of violence' attacks baby before attempting to 'flee custody'
- 2 Family forced to flee home after discovering 'terrifying' nest of spiders in bananas
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Bob Crow death: 'Admired by his members, feared by employers' - Tributes pour in for RMT union leader and 'working class hero' Bob Crow
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: One of the largest mobile advert...
£20000 - £23000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client specialises in creati...
£30000 - £50000 per annum + Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Private Cli...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Residential...