Council binmen on strike in pay row
Wednesday 08 June 2011
Refuse collectors employed by a city council started a week-long strike today in a bitter row over pay.
Workers in Southampton have been taking industrial action for the past few weeks in protest at moves to reduce their wages under spending cuts.
Ian Woodland, regional officer of Unite, said: "Months ago we put plans to the council which would have brought down costs and saved jobs and services while it got through a rough patch, but they made clear they were not interested - they wanted a fight with the unions.
"This is a serious misjudgment. Support for the workers locally is strong because people understand that, while the council may hit wages now, it won't be long before they come for the services too."
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £40000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: .Mid Level V...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Competitive Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: Dig...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Car, Medical, Fuel + More!: Progressive Recruitmen...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits: Progressive Recruitment: An absolutely o...