Cousin of footballer Defoe dies
Saturday 28 July 2012
The cousin of the England footballer Jermain Defoe has died in a freak holiday accident on a Caribbean island.
Hannah Defoe, 20, was electrocuted as she dived into a pool in St Lucia, according to reports.
The Tottenham Hotspur striker was on the club's pre-season tour of America when he was told the news and has been allowed to return to the UK to be with his family.
Defoe, 29, flew home from England's Euro 2012 camp in Poland last month following the death of his 49-year-old father, Jimmy, from throat cancer. His half-brother Jade, 26, also died in 2009 following a street attack in London.
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
'He was always smiling': Lee Rigby named as Woolwich victim
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
Exclusive: Woolwich killings suspect Michael Adebolajo was inspired by cleric banned from UK after urging followers to behead enemies of Islam
Seeing the larger picture: Inspiring images of space
- 1 Pope Francis: Being an atheist is alright as long as you do good
- 2 'He was always smiling': Lee Rigby named as Woolwich victim
- 3 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 4 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 5 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.