Crash on M6 kills four

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Four people were killed today in a motorway crash, emergency services said.

The fatalities, all men, were travelling in two cars which collided on the southbound carriageway of the M6 motorway between junctions eight and seven.

A spokesman for West Midlands Fire Service said: "At 6am this morning two crews from Walsall were mobilised to a road traffic collision on the M6 southbound between junctions 8 and 7.

"On arrival crews were confronted by two cars in collision involving four fatalities.

"Crews are remaining on site while police make further investigations."

A fifth man injured in the crash was described by West Midlands Ambulance Service as "walking wounded". He was taken to Sandwell General Hospital.

A WMAS spokesman said the collision involved one car carrying four men and another containing a lone male driver.

The lone driver and three men from the other car were confirmed dead at the scene.

A spokesman for the Highways Agency said one of the cars involved had been travelling the wrong way along the motorway.

"One of the cars was travelling northbound on the southbound carriageway. We don't know how it happened, it is subject to a police investigation," he said.

The motorway remains closed in both directions between junctions 8 and 7.

The spokesman said the northbound carriageway would be reopened as soon as possible, but the southbound stretch was likely to be closed until at least 11am.

Describing traffic levels as "pretty good", he said: "We are using hard signs and electronic signs to warn drivers.

"Traffic from both carriageways is being diverted via junction 1 of the M5.

"The traffic is pretty good, it being early on a Sunday morning.

"We had some build-up behind the incident, which we were able to release within the hour."

The crash involved a silver Ford Fusion containing one man and a silver Peugeot 406 carrying four men.

A spokeswoman for West Midlands Police said: "At this stage while inquiries are ongoing, we have no ages or further details about the deceased.

"It is believed that the Ford Fusion vehicle was travelling in the wrong direction down the motorway before the collision occurred."

Chief Inspector Bas Sidhu, said: "This is a horrific collision which most tragically involved four fatalities.

"We would urge anyone with information travelling on that stretch of motorway at the time to come forward. They may hold vital information to assist with the inquiry."

Senior police officers remain at the scene of the collision, close to the M5 interchange.

The Highways Agency said the northbound carriageway was reopened shortly after 12pm.



Anyone with information should is asked to call the Central Motorway Police Group on 0121 626 1285.

Comments