Cumbria crash train was out of control
Wednesday 26 October 2011
The driver in the Virgin Pendolino train crash in Cumbria has told an inquest he had "no control" of the 95mph locomotive carrying 105 people once it had derailed.
Iain Black, 50, was speaking at the inquest into the death of Margaret Masson, 84, from Glasgow, who died when the London-to-Glasgow express crashed near Kendal at 8.12pm on 23 February 2007.
Accident investigators found that the train had gone over a "degraded and unsafe" set of points.
"Had I noticed the points out of synch, I could not [have stopped] the train," Mr Black said. The hearing continues.
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
YouTube video posted by Isis militants shows 'execution of 250 Syrian soldiers'
Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
Californian drought is so severe it's 'causing the ground to move'
Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >
£17000 - £20000 Per Annum Bonus, Life Insurance + Other Benefits: Clearwater P...
£32000 - £38000 Per Annum Bonus, Life Insurance + Other Benefits: Clearwater P...
£110 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Project Coordinator (SC Cleared), Cisco Go...
£200 - £250 per day + competitive: Orgtel: KYC Analyst, Key Banking Client, Bi...