DJ was killed by drugs overdose

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The former BBC Radio 1 breakfast DJ Kevin Greening died of a drugs overdose after taking part in a gay bondage session, an inquest heard yesterday.

At the time of his death, the radio presenter's agent told the BBC that Greening had died peacefully in his sleep. But the coroner, Paul Knapman, recorded a verdict of misadventure after Greening was found dead at a flat in Wandsworth, south London, on the eve of his 45th birthday, on 29 December 2007.

Dr Knapman told Westminster coroner's court: "He was found dead having indulged in unorthodox behaviour involving restraint equipment and illegal drugs." The coroner concluded the DJ had died as a result of "mixed drug toxicity", after traces of cocaine, ecstasy and GHB were found in his blood.

On the day he died, Greening had been in a black leather sling attached to scaffolding in the bedroom of a flat belonging to his boyfriend Sean Griffin, who became concerned about him when he noticed that his face was pale.

Dr Knapman said the men had visited a nightclub in London on 28 December, returning to Mr Griffin's flat in the early hours. There, they had "during a considerable period of time" and "totally consensually" indulged in "unusual behaviour".

The coroner added it was a drugs overdose and not the bondage that led to Greening's death.

Comments