Double delight for lottery couple
A couple won almost £100,000 on the lottery twice over, after accidentally buying two tickets, Camelot has revealed.
John Ord, 52, picked up a ticket at a newsagent's near his home in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, not knowing that his wife Karen, 44, had also bought one from a local post office on the same day.
They each used their favourite numbers – a combination of the family's birth dates – and five plus the bonus ball were drawn in Saturday's Lotto draw, meaning each ticket won £96,527.
"I always announce the jackpot to my husband when the draw show comes on," Mrs Ord said.
"When our numbers came out it was unbelievable. We still can't believe it and we keep watching the draw back again and again.
Mr Ord, a labourer, said: "It's a fantastic feeling. Our two youngest boys are really excited but our eldest is very cool about the whole thing and taking it in his stride. I love my work so I don't want to give it up, but the win means that we can now sit back, relax and enjoy life."
Although they have kept their celebrations low-key, the couple, who have been married for 20 years, toasted their win with the family.
They now plan to treat their four sons, aged between 12 and 17, to a holiday somewhere hot.
The Ords are not the only double lottery winners. Vince Taylor, a builder from Redcar, won £1.3m in 1997 before netting another £120,000 four years later.
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...