Dozens injured at Birmingham JLS Christmas lights gig
Sunday 15 November 2009
At least 60 people were injured on Saturday in a crowd surge at a concert organised to mark the switching on of Birmingham's Christmas lights in the city centre, emergency services said.
X-Factor runners-up JLS had just finished their set at Millennium point, when a metal crash barrier penning the crowd in failed, leaving scores needing treatment, West Midlands Ambulance Service said.
Four people were taken to hospital and one sustained multiple fractures during the crowd crush, it said.
The event, which had been due to feature other top bands including the Sugababes, was subsequently cancelled. Paramedics set up a special unit to treat the injured at the scene.
According to Birmingham City Council many thousands more than the 5,000 fans expected at the event turned up.
Some estimates put the total at 27,000 by the time the band JLS had finished their set.
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£90 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Science Teacher (mater...
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for an ...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: A West Yorkshire School i...