Duke detained for further monitoring

 

Doctors have refused to release the Duke of Edinburgh from hospital, forcing him to spend a fourth night away from the Royal Family – and his beloved Boxing Day shoot – following emergency heart surgery.

A spokesperson from Papworth Hospital, in Cambridgeshire, where the 90-year-old is recovering after being taken ill on Friday suffering from chest pains, said Prince Philip would remain under observation but was "in good spirits".

The Queen's husband underwent minor surgery over the weekend to insert a stent, opening an artery that had been blocked.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman confirmed he had not been given a release date. "The Duke will remain in hospital under observation for a short period," he said.

Prince Philip's stay in hospital meant he missed the traditional Royal Family Christmas at Sandringham House, in Norfolk, an event he has attended for the past 50 years.

Prince Philip: A life in pictures

PA

Comments