Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip to miss Paralympic opening ceremony

 

The Duke of Edinburgh will not attend the opening ceremony of the Paralympic Games as he continues to recover from a bladder infection, Buckingham Palace said today.

Philip was due to attend with the Queen on Wednesday when she officially opens the ceremony but will instead remain at the family's private Balmoral estate in Scotland.

A Palace statement said he "continues to recover well" following the recurrence of the infection.

Philip was released from Aberdeen Royal Infirmary earlier this week after five nights in hospital.

He was treated for the illness that also affected him in June when he was admitted to hospital after braving cold, wet and windy conditions on the royal barge for several hours during the Diamond Jubilee Pageant on the River Thames.

Philip was in good spirits when he was discharged from hospital and told staff he was heading home to enjoy the rest of his summer holiday.

The 91-year-old royal's latest health scare came at the start of his traditional summer break with the Queen in Balmoral.

He had travelled down to the Isle of Wight to spend the beginning of last week taking part in events during Cowes Week, in his role as Admiral and member of the Royal Yacht Squadron.

But after returning to Scotland he was taken last Wednesday by ambulance from Balmoral in the Cairngorms to the city hospital following a recurrence of a bladder infection.

It is not the first time this year Philip has been forced to miss some of the major events taking place in the capital and beyond.

He was absent for parts of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations in June when he was admitted to London's King Edward VII Hospital for treatment for a bladder infection.

The Duke had recently recovered from a successful procedure to clear a blocked coronary artery last December, spending four nights in hospital over Christmas.

A Palace spokesman said that the Princess Royal and the Earl and Countess of Wessex would accompany the Queen at the opening of the Paralympic Games next week.

More names of other Royals who will be going will be released in due course, he added.

PA

Comments