Eddie Izzard abandons his attempt to run 27 marathons in 27 days
Eddie Izzard has been forced to abandon his attempt to complete 27 marathons in 27 days in South Africa due to "unforeseen medical complications".
The comedian and actor, who completed 43 marathons in 51 days for Sport Relief in 2009, took on his latest challenge as a tribute to Nelson Mandela, with each marathon representing one of the 27 years Mandela spent in prison. But the bid has been suspended after just four marathons, in the interests of Izzard's health.
"I have had to put my attempt on hold due to unforeseen medical complications that have arisen due to a multitude of factors including severe terrain, humidity and altitude," Izzard said in an online message to fans yesterday morning.
He said he was "sorry to let everyone down".
Izzard, 50, was also making a documentary about Mandela. His route was organised around significant locations from the 93-year-old former South African President's life, beginning in Mandela's birthplace in the Eastern Cape and encompassing Johannesburg, Cape Town and Robben Island.
Despite the setback, Izzard pledged to complete the challenge at a later date. "I owe that to Nelson Mandela, who has inspired the world to struggle and succeed no matter what obstacles are thrown at us," he said. Donations in support of the attempt, organised by Comic Relief, have been directed to aid organisations targeting poverty in South Africa.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£110 - £135 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Teaching opportunites in t...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary Teaching opp...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary School teach...