EDF pledges winter rebate to pensioners
EDF Energy will hand out average £40 rebates to struggling pensioners this winter. The move – which will help 150,000 older people – follows The Independent Fair Energy campaign and will cost the French-owned firm £6m.
The cash will be given to needy people to ensure they don't pay more than they need to for gas and electricity.
They will get a rebate on their bills if they pay more than the cheapest prices charged by the firm.
Vincent de Rivaz, chief executive of EDF Energy, said: "It's simply unfair that vulnerable people end up paying more for all sorts of reasons. We are trying to address this long-standing issue."
But Gillian Cooper, head of energy retail at Consumer Focus, said the company needs to go further than just targeting pensioners.
"There are many other vulnerable households who are facing tough choices between cutting back on their energy or other essentials to make ends meet," she pointed out.
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The role in this successful eco...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: QA Tester - London - £30,000 QA Tes...