Edinburgh street Bellenden Gardens 'shaped like a giant willy'
Locals said the rudely-named street should have been included on a recent list of the UK's most embarrassing street names
This Edinburgh street is a viable contender for one of the smuttiest in the UK.
Not only is it shaped like a giant penis – but it is also rather fittingly named Bellenden Gardens.
Following a study released earlier this week, which found living on a street with a rude-sounding name could land property hunters a bargain, Bellenden Gardens is vying to become recognised as one of the rudest in the country.
Properties on streets with ribald names like Crotch Crescent, Turkey Cock Lane, Bell End and The Knob were found to be around one fifth or £84,000 cheaper on average than other homes situated nearby, according to a survey by NeedaProperty.com.
Researchers spent two months researching the impact of innuendo-laden street names on house prices.
They asked 2,000 people to vote for the street name that they would be most embarrassed to have as their address from a long list and the top 15 were used for the study.
The name of Bellenden Gardens has long been a source of merriment among locals, but satellite mapping of the cul-de-sac showed it also resembles a phallus and locals said the survey should have included the Scottish street.
Robert Duncan, 58, told the Edinburgh Evening News: "I live just around the corner from Bellenden and we have always had a laugh at the name, but now the shape of the street has just added to the fun.
"I thought it should have been in the recent list of dirty street names.''
And Mary Cunningham, 61, added: "I see there is a Bell End named in the English list, but ours is much funnier because the street is also shaped like a giant willy.
"I’ll be looking for our Bellenden to be included next year, although, to be honest, I don’t think it affects the house prices around here," she told the newspaper.
Top 15 embarrassing street names
1. Minge Lane, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire - 31%
2. Slag Lane, Lowton, Lancashire - 26%,
3. Fanny Hands Lane, Ludford, Lincolnshire - 24.9%,
4. Bell End, Rowley Regis, West Midlands - 22.5%,
5. Crotch Crescent, Marston, Oxfordshire -19.6%,
6. The Knob, Kings Sutton, Northamptonshire - 17%
7. Turkey Cock Lane, Stanway, Essex - 10.8%
8. Cockshoot Close, Stonesfield, Oxfordshire - 10.1
9. Cumming Street, Islington, London - 8.9%
10. Cock A-Dobby, Sandhurst, Berkshire - 6.5%
11. Cock Lane, Farringdon, London – 6.3%
12. Clitterhouse Road, Brent Cross, London – 5.8%
13. Cock and Bell Lane, Long Melford, Suffolk – 5.7%
14. Beaver Close, Richmond, Surrey – 2.6%
15. Cold Blow Lane, Lambeth, London – 1.9%
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
Lana Del Rey: 'I have slept with a lot of guys in the industry'
Peaches Geldof cause of death: 'Heroin addict' socialite had taken fatal dose of drug, inquest concludes
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
£49000 - £55000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client is...
£48000 - £54000 per annum + Benefits package: Progressive Recruitment: My clie...
£35000 - £45000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: If you're pa...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: SAP Business...