Edinburgh street Bellenden Gardens 'shaped like a giant willy'
Locals said the rudely-named street should have been included on a recent list of the UK's most embarrassing street names
This Edinburgh street is a viable contender for one of the smuttiest in the UK.
Not only is it shaped like a giant penis – but it is also rather fittingly named Bellenden Gardens.
Following a study released earlier this week, which found living on a street with a rude-sounding name could land property hunters a bargain, Bellenden Gardens is vying to become recognised as one of the rudest in the country.
Properties on streets with ribald names like Crotch Crescent, Turkey Cock Lane, Bell End and The Knob were found to be around one fifth or £84,000 cheaper on average than other homes situated nearby, according to a survey by NeedaProperty.com.
Researchers spent two months researching the impact of innuendo-laden street names on house prices.
They asked 2,000 people to vote for the street name that they would be most embarrassed to have as their address from a long list and the top 15 were used for the study.
The name of Bellenden Gardens has long been a source of merriment among locals, but satellite mapping of the cul-de-sac showed it also resembles a phallus and locals said the survey should have included the Scottish street.
Robert Duncan, 58, told the Edinburgh Evening News: "I live just around the corner from Bellenden and we have always had a laugh at the name, but now the shape of the street has just added to the fun.
"I thought it should have been in the recent list of dirty street names.''
And Mary Cunningham, 61, added: "I see there is a Bell End named in the English list, but ours is much funnier because the street is also shaped like a giant willy.
"I’ll be looking for our Bellenden to be included next year, although, to be honest, I don’t think it affects the house prices around here," she told the newspaper.
Top 15 embarrassing street names
1. Minge Lane, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire - 31%
2. Slag Lane, Lowton, Lancashire - 26%,
3. Fanny Hands Lane, Ludford, Lincolnshire - 24.9%,
4. Bell End, Rowley Regis, West Midlands - 22.5%,
5. Crotch Crescent, Marston, Oxfordshire -19.6%,
6. The Knob, Kings Sutton, Northamptonshire - 17%
7. Turkey Cock Lane, Stanway, Essex - 10.8%
8. Cockshoot Close, Stonesfield, Oxfordshire - 10.1
9. Cumming Street, Islington, London - 8.9%
10. Cock A-Dobby, Sandhurst, Berkshire - 6.5%
11. Cock Lane, Farringdon, London – 6.3%
12. Clitterhouse Road, Brent Cross, London – 5.8%
13. Cock and Bell Lane, Long Melford, Suffolk – 5.7%
14. Beaver Close, Richmond, Surrey – 2.6%
15. Cold Blow Lane, Lambeth, London – 1.9%
- 1 Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
- 3 Dad attempts revenge on teenage daughter, plan backfires spectacularly
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Isis 'throw man off a building for homosexual affair' and beat him to death when he survives
Woman falls to her death as she celebrates marriage proposal at the edge of Ibiza cliff
Boris Johnson claims porn-obsessed Islamic jihadists are 'literally w*****s'
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Ball pool for adults opens in London
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: My client is an excellent, large partially ...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: I am currently working in partnersh...
£100 - £150 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: Year 3 Teacher Birmingham Jan 2015...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Lead Web Develo...