Edinburgh street Bellenden Gardens 'shaped like a giant willy'
Locals said the rudely-named street should have been included on a recent list of the UK's most embarrassing street names
This Edinburgh street is a viable contender for one of the smuttiest in the UK.
Not only is it shaped like a giant penis – but it is also rather fittingly named Bellenden Gardens.
Following a study released earlier this week, which found living on a street with a rude-sounding name could land property hunters a bargain, Bellenden Gardens is vying to become recognised as one of the rudest in the country.
Properties on streets with ribald names like Crotch Crescent, Turkey Cock Lane, Bell End and The Knob were found to be around one fifth or £84,000 cheaper on average than other homes situated nearby, according to a survey by NeedaProperty.com.
Researchers spent two months researching the impact of innuendo-laden street names on house prices.
They asked 2,000 people to vote for the street name that they would be most embarrassed to have as their address from a long list and the top 15 were used for the study.
The name of Bellenden Gardens has long been a source of merriment among locals, but satellite mapping of the cul-de-sac showed it also resembles a phallus and locals said the survey should have included the Scottish street.
Robert Duncan, 58, told the Edinburgh Evening News: "I live just around the corner from Bellenden and we have always had a laugh at the name, but now the shape of the street has just added to the fun.
"I thought it should have been in the recent list of dirty street names.''
And Mary Cunningham, 61, added: "I see there is a Bell End named in the English list, but ours is much funnier because the street is also shaped like a giant willy.
"I’ll be looking for our Bellenden to be included next year, although, to be honest, I don’t think it affects the house prices around here," she told the newspaper.
Top 15 embarrassing street names
1. Minge Lane, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire - 31%
2. Slag Lane, Lowton, Lancashire - 26%,
3. Fanny Hands Lane, Ludford, Lincolnshire - 24.9%,
4. Bell End, Rowley Regis, West Midlands - 22.5%,
5. Crotch Crescent, Marston, Oxfordshire -19.6%,
6. The Knob, Kings Sutton, Northamptonshire - 17%
7. Turkey Cock Lane, Stanway, Essex - 10.8%
8. Cockshoot Close, Stonesfield, Oxfordshire - 10.1
9. Cumming Street, Islington, London - 8.9%
10. Cock A-Dobby, Sandhurst, Berkshire - 6.5%
11. Cock Lane, Farringdon, London – 6.3%
12. Clitterhouse Road, Brent Cross, London – 5.8%
13. Cock and Bell Lane, Long Melford, Suffolk – 5.7%
14. Beaver Close, Richmond, Surrey – 2.6%
15. Cold Blow Lane, Lambeth, London – 1.9%
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 3 Father of 12 accused of raping, beating, starving and abusing his own children in US 'cult'
- 4 Britain's Got Talent 2015: Jamie Raven divides Twitter as fans expose mind-boggling magic trick
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
People are criticising Fifa World Cup sponsors with corrupt corporate logos
Natalie Portman tells Harvard graduates: 'Accept your lack of knowledge'
British tourists complain impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Fifa corruption live: Sebb Blatter warns 'more bad news may follow' as he clings to power
Skull found in Spain could be the world's first-ever murder victim
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: One of the South East's fastest growing full s...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£30000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Estimating, preparation of tech...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will work as part of a smal...