Elderly woman dies after gas leak in Hawick
Wednesday 29 May 2013
An elderly woman has died and houses evacuated following a gas leak.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said a crew was asked to attend after there was a smell of gas at a property in Hawick in the Scottish Borders.
Firefighters set up a cordon and evacuated 10 people from nine houses in Fairhurst Drive at about 1.15pm.
A spokeswoman for the service said: "An investigation is ongoing into the cause of one fatality in one of the properties."
A Scotia Gas Networks spokeswoman said: "We were called out to a property in Hawick this afternoon by the emergency services.
"We were on site at 1.39pm and we capped off the internal supply at the gas meter."
The Scottish Ambulance Service said it had attended a house where a patient had a medical condition.
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women
£45000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Quantitative Analyst (Financial Services, ...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: Application Support Engineer (C++, .NET, VB, Per...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Software Developer (Client-Side, SQL, VB...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Developer (...