Ethiopian torch runner disappears in Nottingham
A 15-year-old Ethiopian boy who came to Britain to run with the Olympic torch as part of an international charity programme has gone missing in Nottingham.
Natnael Yemane disappeared from his hotel shortly after completing his section of the relay in Nottinghamshire on Thursday.
Police have launched a search but do not suspect foul play. Officials believe he has family in London.
Officers said he left the Jurys Inn on Waterfront Plaza at around 9.15pm on Thursday and did not return. They were concerned for his well being as his English is limited and he is not “street-wise”.
Natnael is described as black, 5ft 8in tall, and of thin build. He has short cropped hair and was last seen wearing faded dark jeans, a green and yellow camouflage hooded jacket and black trainers with a white stripe.
Twenty torchbearers from Azerbaijan to Zambia were selected through the International Inspiration Programmme, which was set up by Unicef, and ran in two teams on Thursday.
A London 2012 spokesperson said: “A young boy of 15 has gone missing and clearly this is of great concern to us. Everyone is doing all they can to find him and make sure he is safe.”
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
German chancellor Angela Merkel named most powerful woman in the world by Forbes - again
World news in pictures
Eyewitness Ingrid Loyau-Kennett gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness Ingrid Loyau-Kennett gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.