The family of the British toddler who died after falling from a second floor balcony at a hotel in Sardinia were today coming to terms with the loss of their "beautiful" little boy.
Richard and Stacy Kremer, from Reading, Berkshire, were on holiday with their three children when 18-month-old Brad fell more than 8ft at the Chia Laguna Resort shortly after 7pm local time (6pm BST) on Saturday.
Mr Kremer said: "We are absolutely devastated at the loss of our beautiful son Brad.
"I was on the balcony with my two sons. I turned to answer my eldest son and looked back to see Brad falling from the other side of the railings which in turn lead to his untimely and tragic death.
"We would like to make absolutely clear that at no time did we leave any of our children unattended."
The family's statement, issued by the hotel on their behalf, continued: "We have co-operated fully with the authorities and we will continue to do so.
"An autopsy will take place (today) after which there will be a report issued by the magistrate with their findings as is the normal procedure in Italy.
"We would like to thank everybody for their help and messages of support during what can only be described as the very worst time in our lives and we would ask for us to be given space to grieve in this exceptionally difficult time."
The family were on the first day of their holiday when the tragedy happened.
The couple's other two children are Joel, aged five, and Scarlet who is three-and-a-half.
Relatives at the family home in Tidmarsh said the tragic news had not yet sunk in.
Brad's uncle Stuart Kremer, who lives nearby, said it was very sad and the family did not wish to make any further statement.
The toddler was taken by ambulance to Brotzu Hospital in the island's main town, Cagliari, but he was dead on arrival, police said.
The spokesman said police were investigating the little boy's death but no arrests had been made.
A Foreign Office confirmed said: "I can confirm the death of a British child after falling from a balcony on August 15."
She said the child's family was being given consular assistance.Reuse content