Family pays tribute to three-year-old Freddie Hussey crushed by a trailer in Bristol

Freddie's family said "everyone loved" the three-year-old boy

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The parents of three-year-old Freddie Hussey, who died after being hit by a trailer in Bristol, have described their son as “amazing”.

Freddie suffered fatal injuries after a trailer attached to a Land Rover came loose and crushed him against a garden wall on Hastings Road, Bedminster, at around 10:15 am on Monday.

The boy and his mother Donna had dropped off his brother Archie at school when the portable cabin mounted the kerb, the Bristol Post reported.

He was taken to Bristol Infirmary, but died later that day.

Floral tributes for the boy have been laid at the scene, alongside toy cars, and a mini rugby ball and mini football.

Parents Donna, 31, and Scott, 35, and their seven-year-old son Archie, said in a statement that “everyone loved Freddie” and the three-year-old “could melt you with his cheeky smile.”

They described him as a happy boy who loved feeding the ducks at the park, and was obsessed with sticks and muddy puddles.

“Freddie doted on his big brother. He had just started nursery and was so proud to put on the same uniform that Archie wore.

"That morning Freddie had given Archie the biggest hug when we dropped him at school.

“He was just your average three-year-old, well he was more, he was amazing,” his family said.

The family said Freddie “loved” Broad Plain RFC rugby club, based in Bedminster, and used to call the club his “garden” as he would play in it in all weathers.

The team has announced it will organise a fundraiser in Freddie’s memory.

It is believed that the trailer is currently being returned by a man in his thirties to the Parson Street depot of Wernick Hire, which rents out portable storage and accommodation units, according to the Bristol Post.

Police are investigating the incident and have appealed for witnesses to come forward.

A spokesman for Avon and Somerset Police said the driver of the Land Rover involved and witnesses were being spoken to as part of inquiries.

“The vehicle will be examined as part of this work but this is a common line of inquiry with any serious collision,” he said.

“This work will establish the cause of the collision but it is expected to take some time and there are unlikely to be any further developments in the next few days.”

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the force on 101.

Additional reporting by PA