Faulty charger could have started Sheffield house fire that killed three children
Three generations of the same family died in the blaze
Monday 12 May 2014
A house fire in Sheffield that killed three young children along with their grandmother and aunt was probably started by a faulty charger.
Adyan Parwaiz Kayani, nine, Amaan Parwaiz Kayani, seven, and their nine-week-old sister Minahil died at their home in the Nether Edge area on 28 April.
Their grandmother, 53-year-old Shabina Begum, managed to escape the blaze but went back inside to rescue the children. Her daughter, Anum Parwaiz, 20, also died.
An investigation by South Yorkshire Police and South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue found the most likely cause of the fire was an electrical fault with a “faulty charging device”.
A spokesman said: “The investigation continues on behalf of the coroner and a full inquest into the deaths of the three children and two women will take place at a future date.”
Mourners at the funeral for three children and two women killed in the fire. Firefighters from four stations used an aerial ladder to try and tackle the blaze that broke out at around midnight.
Witnesses said up to 300 neighbours went into the street to try and help the rescue efforts, which lasted into the early hours.
Post-mortem examinations found that all five family members died from smoke inhalation.
Thousands of mourners lined the streets and packed a mosque for their funeral on Thursday.
Speaking ahead of the funeral, Mrs Begum's daughter Nazia Parwaiz Kayani said: "We are devastated by the loss of our beloved family and their untimely passing has left an unimaginable void in our lives forever."
She told the BBC: "Our thoughts would not be complete without mentioning the selfless heroism of my beloved mother Shabbina Begum, who went back into the home to try and rescue the family she adored.
"She made the ultimate sacrifice."
David Hartley, a district commander for Sheffield Police, said: “Our thoughts remain with the family and friends of those who tragically died in the fire.
“Our thoughts are also with the local community, who are not only struggling to come to terms with this terrible tragedy but who have had to deal with disruption due to the ongoing investigation.”
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 4 The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
- 5 Why you're almost certainly more like your father than your mother
Mark Zuckerberg: Facebook CEO's one simple test for who to hire
Bali nine: Welcome to 'Execution Island' – the Indonesian holiday resort where foreigners are sent to die
'A girl is more responsible for rape than a boy': The statement that shocked the world... except India
The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
Saudi Arabia executions now at 'unprecedented rate' after kingdom kills four more in two days
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin
£45000 - £55000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior VMware Platform En...
£10000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A distributor of specialist ele...
£17000 - £19000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A distributor of specialist ele...
£32000 per annum + pension, healthcare & 23 days holiday: Ashdown Group: A gro...